Growing up, I was good at everything. I got straight A's, I was outstanding in sports, I won math competitions, I was called out as the most outstanding musician and singer in my sections, I even skipped a grade. I'm really not trying to brag-- I'm only sharing this because it goes in stark contrast to what happened to me in college when I developed a mental illness. I had to be rushed to the hospital at the end of my first term and I've been mentally ill ever since. Thankfully, however, my drive to find meaning and purpose in life never left me, and I still find that my inner Spirit is able to shine :)
I've always tried my best in life, and I guess that's what I'm still doing-- mental illness or not. But there's something special about being mentally ill that being "sane" never got me. I've been thinking about this the last few days and trying to reflect on what the "special" thing might be. I'm not trying to put anyone down who may have a mental illness, or even know someone who does and cannot see how in any way there could be something "special" or "helpful" about having a mental illness. Frankly, it is a very hard way to live. But, I like to think on the bright side, and I think I've found some treasure in this quite seemingly, "ugly" box (as the world might put it). I'm hoping writing on this blog can help me sort out my thoughts and that "special" something can be unveiled to us all more clearly. Fingers crossed, good luck! :D
No comments:
Post a Comment